British Labour Party Leader opposes Israel’s invasion of Gaza
Ed Miliband says the Israeli military offensive could help Hamas’s recruitment efforts
British Labour Party Leader Ed Miliband said on Tuesday that he opposes Israel’s ground incursion into the Gaza Strip.
Miliband made the statement during an interview with the Huffington Post.
“We oppose the Israeli incursion into Gaza,” Miliband said, after meeting U.S. President Barack Obama and National Security Adviser Susan Rice at the White House.
Ed Miliband could become the British Prime Minister and has appeared in recent polls as a strong favorite. His party is currently leading in parliamentary race.
Miliband said Israel’s incursion into Gaza is likely to help Hamas’ recruiting efforts. “I don’t think this will make the situation better. I fear it will make it worse,” he said.
He also noted that the Israeli military operation could undermine Israel in the eyes of the international community and how he doesn’t “think it will help win Israel friends.”
“As a party we oppose the further escalation of violence we have seen with Israel’s invasion of Gaza,” he added.
“I defend Israel’s right to defend itself against rocket attacks. But I cannot explain, justify or defend the horrifying deaths of hundreds of Palestinians, including children and innocent civilians,” he said.
Miliband was in Washington for a roundtable discussion at the Center for American Progress think tank.
Miliband appeared before TV cameras outside the White House after his meeting and said he and Obama discussed the downing of a Malaysian airliner in eastern Ukraine, as well as clashes between Israel and the Palestinians and European affairs, Reuters reported.
- Israeli pushes on with Gaza assault, kills dozens
- NBC faces credibility test after Ayman Mohyeldin's Gaza pull-out debacle
- Saudi King discusses Gaza crisis with Moroccan counterpart
- Danes protest for Gaza with symbolic coffins
- 2000GMT: Egypt denies amending initiative to end Gaza conflict
- Israel kills over 500 Palestinians in 14 days
- U.S. issues travel warning for Israel, West Bank and Gaza
- 1800GMT: Ban Ki-moon calls for cease-fire in Gaza
- 1300GMT: Gaza death toll mounts
- Hezbollah leader says Gaza ‘resistance’ will defeat Israel
- Israel: 7 more soldiers killed in Gaza clashes
- Obama: focus in Gaza conflict must be on ceasefire
- Gaza rejoices at alleged capture of Israeli soldier