Some MH17 bodies missing, inquiry chief pledges ‘they will be found’
Having performed a body count Tuesday, Dutch experts found the figure to be “significantly less” than claimed by rebel leader Alexander Borodai.
Grieving families of the MH17 victims who were massacred last week now face another setback as it is learnt that only 200 of the 298 bodies arrived on the train to the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv.
The development came as international forensic experts embarked the train in which pro-Russian separatists had placed the bodies.
As the improvised morgue pulled into Kharkiv on Tuesday rebel leaders said it held 282 bodies and 87 body parts from 16 people.
This would have amounted to all of the 298 killed when the Boeing 777 was hit by a Russian-made Buk anti-aircraft missile last week.
But, having carried out a body count Tuesday night, Dutch experts found the figure to be “significantly less” than the number claimed by rebel leader Alexander Borodai.
The leader of the Dutch team heading the inquiry, Jain Tuinder, said he assessed that just 200 bodies had reached Kharkiv as well as a quantity of unidentified body parts.
Tuinder swore to recover the others, asserting: “They will be found. We have to find them.”
“We will not leave until every remain has left this country so we will have to go on and bargain again with the people over there.”
Tuesday the train arrived at a station in the government-controlled city of Kharkiv in eastern-Ukraine at 10:00 BST where Dutch investigators heading an examination into the tragedy were to take responsibility of the bodies.
A minute’s silence was held before the train’s doors were opened and international investigators started the dreadful task of attempting to identify those inside.
The train’s 185-mile journey from the crash site in the rebel-held village of Hrabove, eastern Ukraine, took 17 hours.
An Australian air force plane and refrigerated trucks arrived in Holland to wait for the MH17 victims, late Tuesday night.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said the first bodies would be transported to Eindhoven on Wednesday to perform the horrendous identification procedure he told could take months.
According to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, there are still human remnants at the crash site.
- U.S.: No link to Russia government in downing of flight MH17
- Image shows MH17 ‘victim’s ring’ eyed by rebel
- Dutch man avoids doomed MH17 and MH370 flights
- Pious Putin? Images spark MH17 backlash
- Why Vladimir Putin is not to blame for MH17
- Fury mounts over treatment of MH17 victims
- Obama: Missile downed Malaysian flight MH17
- ‘Security zone’ agreed around MH17 crash site