U.N. says hundreds killed during Ukraine cease-fire
At least 3,660 people have been killed over six months of fighting, according to U.N. estimates
The United Nations says at least 331 deaths have been reported in eastern Ukraine since last month’s cease-fire deal between Russian-backed separatists and government troops.
The office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights said Wednesday that hostilities are persisting in the main rebel-held city of Donetsk, as well as around the towns of Debaltseve and Schastye.
At least 3,660 people have been killed over six months of fighting, according to U.N. estimates. The U.N. says some deaths reported since the Sept. 5 truce agreement may include individuals killed before that date.
Fighting in Donetsk has focused primarily around the government-controlled airport, where shelling has taken place daily. Residential areas are frequently hit by inaccurate rocket fire.
Donetsk city hall Wednesday reported three more civilian deaths overnight from shelling.