Another Australian charged with terror-related offences
Australian police Tuesday charged a second man with terrorism-related offences
Australian police Tuesday charged a second man with terrorism-related offences, as Prime Minister Tony Abbott urged the public not to be deterred by fears of an alleged plot inspired by ISIS.
It follows police in Britain arresting a 14-year-old boy in connection with the purported plan to attack Anzac Day commemorations on April 25 -- when Australia honours its war dead.
Of five men seized in Melbourne on Saturday, Sevdet Besim, 18, remains in custody charged with conspiring to commit a terrorist act.
Another 18-year-old, Harun Causevic, was Tuesday charged with the same offence and remanded in custody, reportedly smiling from the dock at his weeping father.
Two other men, aged 18 and 19, have been released pending further inquiries while another 18-year-old was released but is facing weapons offences.
In Britain, Detective Chief Superintendent Tony Mole said on Monday: "We have uncovered communication between an individual in the northwest and a man in Australia to what we believe is a credible terrorist threat."
Police said the boy, from Blackburn in northwest England, had previously been arrested on April 2 but they stressed there was no evidence of an imminent attack being planned in Britain.
Australian police confirmed the British arrest was connected to their operation.
Abbott reiterated Tuesday his call for people to turn out in force on Anzac Day, with ceremonies due to be held in towns and cities across the country to remember those who served as Australian and New Zealand Army Corps soldiers.
"The best thing we can do in the face of those who would do us harm is to go about our normal lives and if we go to an Anzac Day service, we are showing our defiance of those who would do us harm and we're supporting our countries, our values and our armed forces," he said.
Australia raised its threat level to "high" last September and has since carried out a series of counter-terrorism raids, with alarm fuelled by the departure of more than 100 of its nationals to Iraq and Syria to fight with jihadists.