17-year-old terrorist suspect appears in Australian court
The son of a Syrian-born doctor was arrested Friday outside his home
A 17-year-old boy arrested last week when police allegedly found three homemade bombs in his family home in Australia’s second-largest city appeared in a children’s court on Monday charged with terrorism offenses.
The boy, who as a juvenile suspect cannot be publicly identified, was remanded in custody after a brief court appearance in a Melbourne Children’s Court during which he was charged with planning a terrorist act somewhere in Victoria state and with possessing items connected with a terrorist act.
He faces a potential sentence of life in prison if convicted.
The boy did not enter a plea and did not apply for bail. He will appear next on May 26.
The boy sat in the dock flanked by police during the hearing. None of the boy’s family appeared to be in the courtroom.
The son of a Syrian-born doctor was arrested Friday outside his home in the Melbourne suburb of Glenvale in a police counterterrorism operation. Police bomb squad destroyed three explosive devises found in the house.
Police have said an attack was imminent, but have not said where or when the suspect planned to detonate the bombs.
One arrested in Australia over alleged bomb plot: PMAustralian Federal Police (AFP) alleged the teenager arrested was undertaking ... World News
Teenage UK boy charged for alleged Australia terror plotThe boy is also alleged to have incited someone to carry out a beheading in ... World News
UK police arrest boy over Australia ISIS attack 'plot'Police in Britain said they have arrested a 14-year-old boy in connection with an ... Middle East