Swiss police investigate bomb threat at FIFA congress
The threat comes amid an investigation in fraud allegations and the election for the FIFA president
Swiss police said on Friday they were investigating an anonymous bomb threat at the FIFA congress in Zurich that briefly halted proceedings.
The threat was made by telephone to a Zurich-based newsroom on Friday morning, Zurich city police said, adding that no one had been evacuated from the congress.
However, participants in the congress, which paused for lunch 45 minutes earlier than expected, were initially denied re-entry into the building while officers searched the building, a Reuters witness said.
“A search was carried out. The premises have been cleared by the authorities," FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke told the congress after it resumed.