.
.
.
.

ISIS suspects thought of plotting attacks arrested in Europe

Italian police arrested Tunisian and Pakistani on Wednesday on suspicion they were plotting attacks in Italy

Published: Updated:

Italian and Spanish police arrested three men on Wednesday suspected of supporting Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group and plotting attacks.

Italian police arrested Tunisian and Pakistani on Wednesday on suspicion they were plotting attacks in Italy and circulating threatening messages on the Internet in support of ISIS, Reuters reported.

The men were arrested in Brescia, a small city near Milan, police said in a statement, without naming either man.

It said the Tunisian man, 35, had created a Twitter account from which he posted “threatening messages signed ISIS” with the backdrop of famous landmarks such as Rome’s Colosseum and Milan’s cathedral.

Police were due to give details at a news conference later on Wednesday.

Italian security forces have for months been on high alert against attacks at embassies, synagogues, churches, the Vatican and areas usually crowded with tourists.

Meanwhile, Spanish police with the help of Moroccan authorities, have arrested a man accused of distributing propaganda and recruiting for ISIS, the Interior Ministry said on Wednesday.

The 29-old-man, a native of the Spanish North African enclave Melilla, was arrested as part of a police operation against networks dedicated to capturing and sending girls and young women to Syria and Iraq, the ministry said.

On July 7, Spanish police arrested a woman in the Canary Islands accused to radicalizing and sending young women to Islamist militants in the Middle East.

Austria on Islamist hardliners

In the latest and one of the toughest verdicts in a string of ISIS-related cases in Austria, a court sentenced a Chechen to five years in jail on terror charges after he travelled to Syria in 2013.

The 30-year-old Chechen, identified as Magomed Z., was convicted of participating in terrorism and possessing child pornography but acquitted of receiving combat training in Syria. He had faced up to 10 years in prison on the terrorism charge alone.

The Chechen had pleaded not guilty to all charges, saying he had gone to Syria only to help refugees and to search for the son of a relative.

Both the prosecutors and Magomed Z. will appeal the sentence, a spokesman for the court in the Austrian town of Krems said.
Earlier this month, a Vienna court sentenced a 17-year-old Austrian youth to two-and-a-half years in jail for supporting ISIS in Syria.

In June, an Austrian court sentenced 10 people to up to three years in jail for trying to link up with radical Islamists in Syria. In May, a 14-year-old boy from Austria who downloaded bomb-making plans onto his Playstation games console was sentenced to two years.

Around 230 people, roughly half of them Chechens, have travelled from Austria to fight with militants in the Middle East, according to the interior ministry.

(With Reuters)