.
.
.
.

MH370: no certainty about wing piece found

Mystery of flight MH370 is still far from being resolved

Published: Updated:

The mystery of flight MH370 is still far from being resolved.

After two weeks of analysis, there is still no certainty about the precise identity of the piece of Boeing 777 wing found on July 29 on a beach in the island of Reunion, according to the French newspaper Le Monde.

Though, all indications suggest that the piece likely belongs to the Boeing MRO which ensured flight MH370 March 8, 2014 between Kuala Lumpur and Beijing and which disappeared from radar screens after 40 minutes in the air carrying 239 people on board.

Le monde quoted a “close source” who said that experts participating in the analytical work could not conclude definitively that the piece found is a part of the wing belonging to the missing plane.

It added that according to the information provided to families at the beginning of the investigation, experts have not found the license plate of the piece. However the newspaper added that the “scenario of no is more improbable than yes.”

Search continues

Meanwhile, the Associated Press said that the deep sea hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner will likely include cutting-edge sonar equipment when it ramps up again in October after the stormy southern hemisphere winter has passed, the Australian search leader said on Wednesday.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau, which oversees the recovery operation on Malaysia's behalf, has been criticized by some deep-sea salvage experts for not choosing synthetic aperture sonar, or SAS, from the outset of the search for Flight 370 that began far off the west Australian coast in October last year.

With the standard side-scan sonar that has been used to scour half the search area so far, the sonar image of a seabed feature becomes less clear the farther it is away. With SAS, the sonar image remains sharp regardless of the feature's distance.

Martin Dolan, the bureau's chief commissioner, said negotiations are underway to hire SAS equipment to add to a fourth ship that would join the search during the approaching summer, with the aim of combing the entire 120,000-square kilometer (46,000-square mile) search area in the Indian Ocean by the middle of next year.

[With the Associated Press]