Belgium charges 10th suspect over Paris attacks
Ayoub B. been charged with 'terrorist murder' and involvement in the activities of a terrorist group
Belgian prosecutors said Thursday they have arrested a 10th suspect over the attacks in Paris last month and charged him with terror offences.
The Belgian national, identified only as Ayoub B., was detained on Wednesday during a raid on a house in the troubled Brussels neighbourhood of Molenbeek, a statement from the federal prosecutor’s office said.
He has been charged with “terrorist murder” and involvement in the activities of a terrorist group, it said.
The suspect will appear in court again for a custody hearing within five days, it added.
Molenbeek is home to the Paris attacks fugitive Salah Abdeslam and has emerged as a European hotbed of Islamist extremism.
Belgian authorities on Wednesday cancelled annual New Year’s Eve celebrations and fireworks in the heart of Brussels after revealing an alleged jihadist plot to attack the capital during the festivities.
- After #BrusselsLockdown, cats used as bait to lure tourists back
- Arrested journalists urge EU not to compromise on rights in Turkey talks
- Ninth person arrested in Belgium over Paris attacks
- World preps for 2016 festivities amid threats
- Six more held over alleged New Year plot in Brussels
- Brussels terror alert to stay at highest level: PM
- Brussels great mosque evacuated over suspicious ‘white powder’