Pakistani PM Nawaz Sharif to undergo heart surgery in London
Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will undergo open heart surgery in London on Tuesday
Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will undergo open heart surgery in London on Tuesday, his family and office said, in what will be his second cardiac operation in five years.
Sharif’s daughter Maryam Nawaz Sharif said on her official Twitter account that the surgery would be for “perforation of the heart”, a complication from an earlier procedure in 2011.
“Prayers are the most effect & potent medicine. Millions will pray for him,” she tweeted late Friday night.
A statement from the Sharif’s office on Saturday said the prime minister was continuing to oversee state affairs in the days before his surgery.
“It is however natural and understandable that the Prime Minister will be off from any activities when [he] is actually operated on by the doctors,” the statement said.
“God willing soon after the surgery, the Prime Minister will be supervising State’s affairs with the same spirit and energy.”
Sharif has frequently travelled abroad for medical treatment in the past year.
- 1000 organs transplant's surgery in a year in Riyadh
- Yemeni child mine blast victim awaits surgery in Saudi Arabia
- Weight-loss surgery linked to increased suicide risk
- Lebanon’s Ahmad al-Assir failed to escape – despite plastic surgery
- Al Arabiya’s Maktabi back to the channel after successful surgery
- Rise of the 'Yummy Mummy:' How Dubai mums are opting for plastic surgery
- Guitar player strums Beatles hit during brain surgery
- Home-based plastic surgery clinic in Jeddah causes stir
- Enrique Iglesias undergoing reconstructive hand surgery