.
.
.
.

World leaders react with horror to France truck attack

Politicians from around the world have reacted with horror after a truck smashed into a crowd in the French resort of Nice

Published: Updated:

Politicians from around the world have reacted with horror after a truck smashed into a crowd in the French resort of Nice, killing at least 80 as they watched a Bastille Day fireworks display.

Following are the main reactions:

Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia's King Salman released a statement directed to French President François Hollande: Saudi Arabia stands alongside France in combatting terrorism in all its forms.

An official source has expressed the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's strong condemnation of the heinous terrorist running-over act in the French city of Nice, according to Saudi Press Agency.

The source confirmed in a statement 's standing by and solidarity with the friendly Republic of France and its cooperation with it in confronting acts of terrorism in all their forms and manifestations.

United Arab Emirates

The seven sheikhdoms of the United Arab Emirates condemned the “heinous terrorist crime” that struck Nice.

In a statement Friday on the state-run WAM news agency, Emirati Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan pledged to stand with the people of France after the assault.

Sheikh Abdullah also stressed the attack “makes it imperative for everyone to work together decisively and without hesitation to counter terrorism in all its forms.”

The UAE is part of the US-led coalition targeting ISIS and hosts American and Western military personnel involved in the fight. While its neighbors have been struck by extremis attacks, the UAE’s capital of Abu Dhabi and its commercial hub of Dubai have escaped the violence.

Kuwait

The ruler of oil-rich Kuwait has condemned the attack in Nice, France, saying it “runs counter to all religious teachings and humanitarian values.”

The state-run Kuwait News Agency said the ruling emir, Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah, sent a cable of condolence to French President Francois Hollande over the assault.

Sheikh Sabah said Kuwait “supports all measures France might take to protect its security against the terrorist acts.” The Kuwaiti Embassy in Paris also urged its citizens in France to be careful while checking to make sure none of its citizens were wounded.

Tiny Kuwait faced ISIS suicide attack last year during Ramadan at a Shiite mosque which killed at least 27 people and wounded 227.

Barack Obama

US President Barack Obama condemned what he said appeared to be a “horrific terrorist attack”.

“We stand in solidarity and partnership with France, our oldest ally, as they respond to and recover from this attack,” he said in a statement.

“On this Bastille Day, we are reminded of the extraordinary resilience and democratic values that have made France an inspiration to the entire world.”

John Kerry

US Secretary of State John Kerry, who had been in Paris earlier in the day for a Bastille Day parade, said: “The United States will continue to stand firmly with the French people during this time of tragedy. We will provide whatever support is needed.”

Mevlut Cavusoglu:

"We strongly condemn and damn the terrible terror attack that occurred in the French city of Nice. We deeply share the pain of the French people. Turkey is in full solidarity with France in the fight against terrorism. We will continue our struggle against these baseless (people) with determination. First and foremost, terrorism is the rape of humanity and universal values."

Justin Trudeau

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wrote on Twitter: “Canadians are shocked by tonight’s attack in Nice. Our sympathy is with the victims, and our solidarity with the French people.”

A spokesman for new British Prime Minister Theresa May called the attack “a terrible incident”, adding “we are shocked and concerned”.

Boris Johnson

Boris Johnson, whose first engagement as Britain’s new foreign secretary was at the French ambassador’s Bastille Day party in London, said on Twitter: “Shocked and saddened by the appalling events in Nice, and the terrible loss of life.”

European Council

European Council President Donald Tusk called it “a sad day for France, for Europe”. He said it was “tragic” that “the subjects of the attack were people celebrating liberty, equality and fraternity.”

Li Keqiang

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang offered his “condolences” to the victims and said China opposed all forms of terrorism.

United Nations

The United Nations Security Council called the attack “barbaric and cowardly”.

Narenda Modi

Prime Minister Narendra Modi condemned what he called a mindless attack.

“I am appalled by the horrific attack in Nice. I strongly condemn such mindless acts of violence. My thoughts are with the families of deceased.

I hope the injured recover soon. India shares the pain and stands firmly with our French sisters and brothers in this hour of immense sadness,” Modi said.