The brother of Iranian President Hassan Rowhani, Hossein Fereydoun, has been arrested on financial crime charges, according to a source cited by AFP.
"Multiple investigations have been conducted regarding this person, also other people have been investigated, some of whom are in jail," Deputy Judiciary Chief Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejeie said in a televised press conference.
"Yesterday, bail was issued for him but because he failed to secure it he was referred to prison," Ejeie said about Fereydoun, Rowhani's special aide.
Ejeie said Ferydoun would be "released once he provides the bail".
He has been linked to officials at the center of a scandal involving inflated salaries for managers at the state insurance company. The saga has dogged President Rowhani for more than a year.
- Iran imprisons journalist for reporting on judiciary corruption allegations
- Iran arrests corruption fugitive, Alireza Monfared, after international manhunt
- ‘Corruption’ in Iran ignites war of words between Rowhani, Larijani
- Why is Rowhani implicitly slamming corruption in Iran?
- Iran’s corruption and human rights overlooked
- Khomeini’s grandson criticizes corruption in Iran