WATCH: Trump calls Guam governor, tells him ‘you’re famous’ in recorded call
US President Trump called Guam Governor Eddie Calvo to reassure him that the full power of the federal government is in his corner after North Korea's threats to bomb the island.
"We are with you 1000 percent," Trump said. "I wanted to call you and say hello."
Calvo posted a video of him receiving the call to Facebook.
Trump said: “I have to tell you, you have become extremely famous all over the world. They are talking about Guam; and they’re talking about you.” And when it comes to tourism, he added, “I can say this: You’re going to go up, like, tenfold with the expenditure of no money.”
He said that as the governor of Guam and as an American he "has never felt so confident" in his territory's security.
"I'm glad you're holding the helm sir," Calvo said. "We need a president like you."
- Trump official visits Khartoum as US seems poised to end Sudan sanctions
- Trump to send envoys to discuss Middle East peace
- Ivanka Trump to head US delegation at India summit
- Will the Trump and Kim Jong Un verbal barrage lead to a nuclear showdown?
- North Korea details Guam missile plan and brushes off Trump’s warning