Around 38,000 Rohingya have crossed into Bangladesh from neighboring Myanmar, United Nations sources working in Bangladesh’s southern district of Cox’s Bazar said on Friday.
The estimate comes a week after Rohingya insurgents attacked police posts and an army base in Rakhine state, prompting clashes and a military counteroffensive.
- Rohingya fleeing Myanmar violence face expulsion despite UN appeal
- Pope laments “persecutions” of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar
- Bangladesh sends back Rohingya boat carrying injured
- India says to deport all Rohingya regardless of UN registration
- The OIC must now lead the efforts to stop Rohingya persecution