59 dead, over 527 hurt in Las Vegas shooting as ISIS claims attack

Published: Updated:
Enable Read mode
100% Font Size

A gunman has killed at least 59 people and wounded more than 527at a country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip on Sunday, shooting down from the 32nd floor of a hotel, where he was shot dead by police.

ISIS claimed the Las Vegas attack and said the shooter converted to Islam months ago, but provided no evidence to back their claim.

Investigators have so far found “no connection” between international terrorist groups and a mass shooting in Las Vegas that killed at least 59 people and injured more than 527, an FBI special agent said Monday.

The ISIS group, through its propaganda arm, had earlier claimed responsibility for the attack, claiming the shooter was a recently converted “soldier.” Police said the attack was carried out by Stephen Paddock, a 64-year-old retired accountant.

“As this event unfolds we have determined to this point no connection with an international terrorist group,” said Aaron Rouse, the special agent in charge of the Las Vegas office of the FBI.

The death toll, which police emphasized was preliminary, would make the attack the deadliest mass shooting in US history, eclipsing last year's massacre of 49 people at an Orlando night club.

Some 22,000 people were in the crowd when the man, identified as area resident Stephen Paddock, opened fire. His shooting sent panicked people fleeing the scene, in some cases trampling one another, as law enforcement officers scrambled to locate and kill the gunman.