The World Health Organization says a diphtheria outbreak in war-torn Yemen has spread rapidly nationwide and infected more than 1,300 people.
WHO said in a statement that children and young adults account for almost 80 percent of cases and more than 70 people have died.
Diphtheria, first reported in Yemen in October last year, is a contagious and potentially fatal disease that primarily infects the throat and airways.
WHO said Friday a vaccination campaign targeting 2.7 million Yemeni children has been completed in 11 governorates.
The near three-year stalemated war has damaged Yemen’s infrastructure, crippled the health system and pushed it to the brink of famine.
Three dead as diphtheria spreads in YemenThree people have died of suspected diphtheria in conflict-hit Yemen, doctors said Wednesday, as the World Health Organisation and International ... Gulf
Yemen’s cholera death toll rises to 1,500: WHOThe death toll from a major cholera outbreak in Yemen has risen to 1,500, Nevio Zagaria, the World Health Organization’s (WHO) representative in ... Gulf
WHO: Yemen cholera cases pass the 100,000 markThe number of suspected cholera cases in war-torn Yemen has risen to more than 100,000 since an outbreak began on April 27, the World Health ... Gulf
WHO warns cholera threatens half of YemenThe WHO said that cholera threatens half of Yemen’s provinces amid an on-going conflict that has plunged the country into a humanitarian and economic crisis Gulf
Yemen's suspected cholera cases soar to 1,410 in weeks, says WHORapid advance of the disease would add a new dimension to the humanitarian disaster Middle East