US President Donald Trump considers Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad and his Russian ally responsible for a suspected chemical attack in rebel-held Douma and is still mulling a response, the White House said on Wednesday.
“The president holds Assad and the Russians responsible for the attack,” White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders told reporters.
“All options are on the table,” Sanders said when asked about a potential US riposte. “Final decisions have not been made on that front.”
Trump earlier on Wednesday warned that “missiles will be coming” in response to the alleged chemical atrocity in Syria.
White House said President Trump has not laid out a timetable on possible Syria action and that he is leaving a number of options on Syria besides a missile strike.
White House also said air strike mentioned on Trump tweet was one option for Syria action.
White House said Russia has proven to be a bad actor but the US hopes that will change, and said Russia failed at guaranteeing Syria would get rid of chemical weapons.
President Trump’s national security team met to discuss the US response to the Syrian government’s apparent use of chemical weapons on its own people.
Sanders said Vice President Mike Pence chaired the meeting on Wednesday afternoon.
Opposition activists and rescuers say at least 40 people were killed in Saturday’s deadly attack in Douma.
A Kremlin spokesman has said claims of a chemical weapons attack were fabricated.