President Donald Trump is tweeting “KOREAN WAR TO END” after a historic meeting between the leaders of North Korea and South Korea.
Trump is responding to the meeting of North Korea’s Kim Jong Un with South Korean President Moon Jae-in in South Korea. They pledged in a joint statement to rid their peninsula of nuclear weapons - but didn’t identify any specific new measures to achieve that.
Trump is expected to meet with Kim in late May or June.
After a furious year of missile launches and Nuclear testing, a historic meeting between North and South Korea is now taking place. Good things are happening, but only time will tell!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 27, 2018
He tweeted: “KOREAN WAR TO END! The United States, and all of its GREAT people, should be very proud of what is now taking place in Korea!”
In a separate tweet sent minutes earlier, Trump said “good things are happening, but only time will tell.”
- Trump, China welcome North Korea nuclear test halt, Japan not satisfied
- Trump hopes for successful North Korea summit, but warns he could walk away
- Trump confirms Pompeo met with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un
- Trump says US had ‘high level’ talks with North Korea, cites possible summit
- Sweden, North Korea talks end, may help pave way for Trump-Kim encounter