Kenya’s president said early on Wednesday that security forces had killed all four militants who stormed an upscale hotel complex in Nairobi the previous day, in an attack that killed at least 14 people.
Uhuru Kenyatta said 14 civilians were confirmed dead and over 700 others had been safely evacuated.
The attack on the dusitD2 hotel began shortly after 3PM on Tuesday with an explosion in the parking lot and then a suicide bomb blast in the foyer, police said.
Eleven Kenyans, an American and a Briton were among the casualties, morgue staff said. Two victims had not been identified.
Families who had gone to the Chiromo morgue seeking loved ones were told they could not view the bodies until a forensic investigation had been performed, provoking grief and anger.
Somali militant Islamist group al Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack.
At least two groups of people had still been trapped inside as dawn broke, and gunfire continued to ring out around the complex in Riverside Drive.
An earlier estimate put the death toll at 15
Gunmen kill 15 in Kenya hotel attack claimed by Somalia’s al-Shabaab groupGunmen blasted their way into a hotel and office complex in the Kenyan capital on Tuesday, killing at least 15 people and sending workers diving under ... World News
50 people dead in overnight bus crash in western KenyaAt least 50 people were killed when their bus left the road, rolled down a slope and crashed in western Kenya, an official said Wednesday, with the ... World News
Al Shabaab gunmen kill cleric, 9 others at religious center in SomaliaAl Shabaab gunmen and a suicide car bomber struck a religious center in central Somalia on Monday, killing a cleric and at least nine of his followers ... Middle East