Humanitarian group SOS Mediterranee said Sunday it has relaunched migrant rescue operations off Libya, seven months after it was forced to abandon efforts using its ship Aquarius.
SOS Mediterranee and Doctors Without Borders (MSF) “are back at sea with a new vessel, the Ocean Viking, to conduct search and rescue activities in the central Mediterranean,” it said.
“As people are still fleeing Libya on one of the most perilous sea crossings in the world, and with almost no available rescue assets present in the central Mediterranean, it has been an imperative for both SOS Mediterranee and MSF to return at sea following the ending of their operations with the Aquarius in December 2018.”
Minibus with migrants overturns in Turkey killing 15: reportFifteen people were killed and 28 wounded after a minibus carrying migrants overturned in eastern Turkey on Thursday, the private news agency ... World News
Final death toll in boat migrant accident off Tunisia rises to 82The number of bodies recovered by Tunisia after a ship packed with migrants sank off its coast last week has risen to 82, in one of the worst ... North Africa
Death toll in migrant ship disaster off Tunisia rises to 72More bodies were found from a ship packed with migrants that sank off the Tunisian coast last week, bringing the official death toll to 72 in a ... North Africa