Italy’s interior minister says he won’t let 140 rescued migrants off an Italian coast guard ship until Europe agrees to take them.
Many of those who were aboard the coast guard vessel on Friday had been aided the previous evening by a fishing boat from Sicily, whose crew offered water and food and contacted the coast guard.
The Italian news agency ANSA quoted Minister Matteo Salvini as saying no disembarkation port will be assigned until other European countries volunteer to take them.
Salvini demands that other European Union nations share the costs and logistics of caring for the migrants, who are often rescued at sea from unseaworthy boats launched by Libyan-based human traffickers.
Many rescued in the central Mediterranean are economic migrants from Africa or Asia ineligible for asylum.
EU countries agree to new migrant influx mechanism: MacronFourteen member countries of the European Union have agreed to a new ... World News
SOS Mediterranee relaunch migrant rescue missions off LibyaHumanitarian group SOS Mediterranee said Sunday it has relaunched migrant rescue ... World News
Italy seeks fresh migrant clampdown as more boats arriveItaly’s government plans to throw more resources into its fight against boat ... World News
Migrants in Italy boat dispute disembark on LampedusaMigrants on a rescue boat that docked in the Italian island of Lampedusa against ... World News