Afghanistan’s government says the Taliban have again attacked one of the country’s largest cities, Kunduz.
Presidential spokesman Sediq Seddiqi says Afghan security forces are repelling the attack in some parts of the city, a strategic crossroads with easy access to much of northern Afghanistan as well as the capital, Kabul.
The spokesman says the insurgent group has taken positions in civilian areas. Officials in Kunduz cannot be reached by phone.
#Kunduz— Zabihullah (..ذبـــــیح الله م ) (@Zabehulah_M33) August 31, 2019
Mujahidin are trying to prevent losses to civilians & their homes & are not taking shelter in civilian homes.
Enemy propaganda in this regard is baseless.
Mujahidin have not entered #Kunduz city to hide, are targeting military objectives & pursuing enemy.
The attack comes as the Taliban and a United States envoy continue negotiations in Qatar on ending America’s longest war. Both sides in recent weeks signaled they are close to an agreement.
Kunduz fell to the Taliban in 2015 and has come under attack several times since then.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid in a Twitter post calls this attack “large-scale.”