N.Korea says it is willing to resume nuclear talks with US in late September
North Korea said on Monday it was willing to restart nuclear talks with the United States in late September, but warned that chances of a deal could end unless Washington takes a fresh approach.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un agreed in a June 30 meeting with US President Donald Trump to reopen working-level talks stalled since their failed February summit in Hanoi, but this has yet to happen in spite of repeated appeals from Washington.
In a statement carried by North Korea’s official KCNA news agency, Vice North Korean Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui said Pyongyang was willing to have “comprehensive discussions” with the United States in late September at a time and place agreed between both sides.
Asked for comment, a US State Department spokeswoman said: “We don’t have any meetings to announce at this time.”
On Sunday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he hoped to return to denuclearization talks with North Korea in the coming days or weeks.
Choe stressed that Washington needed to present a new approach or the talks could fall apart again.
“I want to believe that the US side would come out with an alternative based on a calculation method that serves both sides’ interests and is acceptable to us,” Choe said.
“If the US side toys with an old scenario that has nothing to do with the new method at working-level talks which would be held after difficulties, a deal between the two sides may come to an end.”
RELATED: US says North Korea blocking resumption of nuclear talks
In April, Kim set a year-end deadline for the United States to show more flexibility in talks, which broke down in February over US demands for North Korea to give up all of its nuclear weapons and Pyongyang’s demands for relief from punishing US-led international sanctions.
The end-of-September time frame would coincide with the annual United Nations General Assembly in New York, which Pompeo is due to attend.
North Korea’s mission to the United Nations said last week that Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho would not attend “due to his schedule.”
RELATED: North Korea foreign minister calls Pompeo ‘poisonous plant’
North Korea has demanded that Pompeo be replaced with a “more mature” person in the US negotiating team, while lauding the rapport built between Kim and Trump in three meetings since June 2018.
The US special representative for North Korea, Stephen Biegun, led working-level talks with North Korea in the run-up to the failed Hanoi meeting.
US penalizes shipping firms said to help North Korea circumvent UN sanctionsThe US Treasury on Friday announced penalties against Taiwanese and Hong Kong shipping firms it says are helping North Korea circumvent United Nations ... World News
Three European nations condemn North Korea’s missile launchesThree important US allies on Tuesday condemned the “repeated provocative launches” of ballistic missiles by North Korea, saying they ... World News
Trump, Abe disagree on North Korea missile launchesUS President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe displayed their differences over the seriousness of North Korea’s series of ... World News
US says it’s ready to resume nuclear talks with North KoreaThe top US envoy on North Korea says Washington is ready to restart nuclear negotiations with North Korea.Stephen Biegun made the comments Wednesday, ... World News