Cuba is blasting the Trump administration for its “baseness and rot” as it denounces the US decision to impose a travel ban to United States on former Cuban President Raul Castro.
“This is an action that is devoid of any practical effect and is aimed at offending Cuba’s dignity and the sentiments of our people,” Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla told a gathering of world leaders on Saturday at the United Nations. “It is a vote-catching crumb being tossed to the Cuban-American extreme right.”
Earlier this week, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced a travel ban on Castro and his immediate family on grounds of human-rights abuses, saying they would not be allowed into the United States.
Pompeo said the ban was in response to “gross human rights abuses” in Cuba and supporting Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro in his crackdown on the opposition.
Castro is no longer president of Cuba but remains at the top of the Cuban Communist Party.