The Japanese government is considering postponing a celebratory parade after Emperor Naruhito’s formal enthronement ceremony next week due to damage from Typhoon Hagibis, national broadcaster NHK said on Thursday.
At least 77 have died in the storm, which lashed wide swathes of Japan with heavy rain and high winds last week, setting off landslides and sending rivers over their banks to cause widespread flooding.
Emperor Naruhito is set to proclaim his enthronement to the world on Oct, 22 in a centuries-old ceremony attended by some 2,500 people, including heads of state and other dignitaries from nearly 200 countries.
Naruhito, 59, acceded to the throne in May after his father, Akihito, became the first monarch to abdicate in two centuries.
Japan allocates millions in aid for typhoon-hit regionsJapan’s government said Wednesday it would set aside millions of dollars to help areas devastated by Typhoon Hagibis, which killed more than 70 ... World News
Crew from North Korean ship fall overboard near Japan: ReportCrew of a suspected North Korean ship fell overboard in the Sea of Japan near Noto Peninsula, Japanese public broadcaster NHK reported on Wednesday, ... World News
Japan typhoon death toll climbs to 74, rescuers search for missing peopleRescue workers in Japan searched for the missing on Wednesday as the death toll from one of the worst typhoons to hit the country rose to 74, public ... World News
Death toll in Japan from Typhoon Hagibis rises to 70Nearly 70 people have been killed in Japan by Typhoon Hagibis, national broadcaster NHK said Monday, as the search for survivors continued for a third ... World News