Thirty-five soldiers were killed Friday in a “terrorist attack” on a Mali military post in the northeast of the country, the army said.
“The provisional death toll has risen to 35 deaths,” it said on Facebook late Friday, adding that the situation is “under control”.
An investigation into the attack on the outpost in Indelimane in the Menaka region is ongoing, it said.
The attack came a month after two assaults killed 40 soldiers near the border with Burkina Faso, one of the deadliest strikes against Mali’s military in recent militant violence.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for Friday’s assault.
The Malian government earlier condemned the “terrorist attack,” saying it had left numerous dead or wounded but without giving a precise toll.
It said reinforcements had been rushed to the area to boost security and track down the attackers.
Northern Mali came under the control of al-Qaeda linked extremists after Mali’s army failed to quash a rebellion there in 2012. A French-led military campaign was launched against the extremists, pushing them back a year later.
But the extremists have regrouped and widened their hit-and-run raids and landmine attacks to central and southern Mali.
The violence has also spilled over into Burkina Faso and Niger where militants have exploited existing inter-communal strife.
UN peacekeeper killed, five wounded in MaliOne peacekeeper was killed and five others were wounded Sunday when a roadside bomb exploded in strife-torn northeastern Mali, the UN mission MINUSMA ... World News
15 dead in Mali building collapseFifteen people were killed on Sunday when a three-story building under construction collapsed “like a house of cards” in the Mali capital ... World News