Germany has declared its first confirmed case of the deadly coronavirus that broke out in China.
Bavaria’s health department said late on Monday that a man in the town of Starnberg, 30 kilometers (19 miles) southwest of Munich, has been confirmed as suffering from the virus.
The patient is in “good condition” and isolated under medical observation, Bavaria’s health department said in a statement posted on its website. It did not disclose any details of the patient’s age or nationality.
“People who have been in contact (with the patient) have been informed in detail about possible symptoms, hygiene measures and transmission channels,” the health department said.
The virus, which broke out in the central Chinese city of Wuhan at the end of last year, has thus far killed 100 people, infected over 2,800 others, stranded tens of millions during the big Lunar New Year holiday and rattled global markets.
Cases linked to people who travelled from Wuhan have been confirmed in a dozen countries, from Japan to the United States.
China virus death toll passes 100 as US, Canada issue travel warningThe United States warned against travel to China on Monday and Canada issued a more narrow travel warning as the death toll from the spreading ... World News
US CDC says no new cases of coronavirus since last updateThe US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Monday there had been no new confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the United States ... World News
Coronavirus stirs fears in China as restrictions, health warnings intensifyStrict travel restrictions and safety concerns have left people in China worried about whether the coronavirus, which has killed 81 people and ... World News