S.Korea evacuation flight arrives from China amid tension over quarantine centers
A charter flight carrying 368 South Koreans from Wuhan arrived home on Friday as tensions simmered around quarantine centers where they will be isolated, a plan vehemently opposed by nearby residents.
The first of up to four flights planned to evacuate South Koreans from the epicenter of a virus outbreak in China landed at the Gimpo International Airport west of Seoul around 8 a.m. (2300 GMT) after an unexpected half-day delay because China only approved one flight.
The government had said none of the evacuees had any symptoms before departure, but one person could not board the plane due to fever after a final check at Wuhan airport, while 18 were sent to hospitals immediately upon arrival, vice health minister Kim Gang-lip said.
“There were different screening standards between China and us, and we conducted another check aboard the plane and put those who were showing symptoms in separate space on the second floor of the plane,” Kim told a briefing.
“The other 350 will be sent to temporary lodging facilities where medical staff will provide daily quarantine and medical assistance for 14 days under thorough control without going out or receiving guests.”
The evacuees will be isolated at two facilities in Asan and Jincheon, cities about 80 km (50 miles) south of capital Seoul.
The plan triggered a strong backlash among nearby residents, with some people throwing eggs and expletives on Thursday at senior officials who visited to try to defuse their anger.
Several hundred police officers were on hand at the facilities in Asan and Jincheon.
In Asan, there was no sign of a major rally on Friday morning, but one angry protestor ripped apart a banner put up by a local civic group to welcome the evacuees.
Around 720 South Koreans have signed up for charter flights, but Seoul’s foreign ministry said they might have to reduce the number of flights to one or two.
South Korea also reported its seventh confirmed case of the coronavirus on Friday, a 28-year-old man who returned from Wuhan via the eastern Chinese port city of Qingdao last week.
The outbreak has prompted North Korea to declare a state emergency, though it is unclear whether there are any confirmed cases in the isolated nation.
The two Koreas opened a new hotline between Seoul and Pyongyang after they agreed to temporarily close their joint liaison office in the North’s border city until virus concerns are eased, the South’s Unification Ministry said on Friday.
The North also informed the South via the hotline that it has decided to postpone plans to remove South Korean facilities at its Mount Kumgang resort next month to prevent a virus outbreak, the ministry said.
More Canadians ask for help to flee coronavirus ChinaThe number of Canadians looking to flee China because of the coronavirus epidemic rose to nearly 200 on Thursday while a third suspected case in ... World News
US State Department warns Americans against China travel over virusThe US State Department increased its travel advisory for China on Thursday, as the death toll from a fast spreading virus rose to over 200 and the ... World News
China virus death toll hits 212, nearly 2,000 new casesThe nationwide death toll in China’s coronavirus outbreak has risen to 213, with nearly 2,000 new cases confirmed, the National Health ... World News
UN agency declares global emergency over virus from ChinaThe World Health Organization declared the outbreak sparked by a new virus in China that has spread to more than a dozen countries as a global ... World News