There has been a “pretty important breakthrough” over the past few days in talks between the United States and the Taliban who have been negotiating for a peace agreement in Afghanistan, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday.
Speaking to a pool of reporters traveling with him to Munich, Pompeo said President Donald Trump has given the authority to continue the talks and that Washington was seekinga significant reduction in violence before more deeper discussions involving all Afghans can start.
Earlier on Thursday, US Defense Secretary Mark Esper said that the US and the Taliban had negotiated a proposal for a seven-day reduction in violence.
“We’ve said all along that the best, if not only, solution in Afghanistan is a political agreement. Progress has been made on this front and we’ll have more to report on that soon,” Esper told reporters during a press conference in Brussels.
Fox Business retracts report on Trump issuing conditional OK for Taliban dealFox Business Network said its report on Wednesday that President Donald Trump has announced a conditional decision for a peace deal with the Taliban ... World News
Taliban kill 11 in Afghan police base attackTaliban militants attacked a police base in northern Afghanistan, killing 11, possibly with help from at least one of the policemen inside, local ... Middle East
Pentagon confirms airplane crash in Afghanistan; denies Taliban shoot-downThe US military confirmed on Monday that its E-11A military aircraft had crashed in Afghanistan’s Ghazni province but, despite claims by ... World News
51 Taliban fighters killed in attacks launched by Afghan forcesAfghan forces used ground attacks and airstrikes in multiple operations against the Taliban during the last 24 hours, killing 51 fighters in an ... World News