A World Health Organization-led joint mission with China will start its outbreak investigation work this weekend and will focus on how the new coronavirus is spreading and the severity of the disease, the WHO’s director said on Friday.
The mission will also seek more details on how, where and when the more than 1,700 health workers infected so far contracted the new virus, WHO officials said.
“We expect the full team to touch down over the weekend,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters at briefing.
“Particular attention will be paid to understanding transmission of the virus, the severity of disease and the impact of ongoing response measures.”
Chinese authorities reported 5,090 new cases in mainland China on Friday, including more than 120 deaths, taking the total number of infected to 63,851, and the number of deaths from the disease, now called COVID-19, to 1,380.
Coronavirus kills six health workers, infects 1,716 others: ChinaSix health workers have died from the new coronavirus in China and more than 1,700 have been infected, health officials said Friday, underscoring the ... World News
China’s Hubei province reports 116 new coronavirus deathsThe number of new deaths in China’s central Hubei province from a coronavirus outbreak rose by 116 as of Thursday, the province’s health ... World News
Coronavirus not rising ‘dramatically’ outside China except on cruise ship: WHOCases of coronavirus infections are not rising dramatically outside China apart from on a cruise liner now quarantined off a Japanese port, the World ... World News