India on Thursday barred foreigners from entering the country in an effort to combat the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
Travel visas of all foreigners will be suspended until April 15, a statement issued by Bureau of Immigration said. However, the visas of foreigners already in India will remain valid.
India has reported 60 confirmed cases of the virus.
For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.
Incoming travelers, including Indian nationals, arriving from any destination and having previously visited China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, France, Spain, and Germany after February 15 will be quarantined for a minimum period of 14 days, the statement said.
#CoronaVirusUpdate:— Ministry of Health (@MoHFW_INDIA) March 11, 2020
Visa restrictions issued by Bureau of Immigration (BOI) after meeting of GoM on #COVID19 today.#SwasthaBharat #HelpUsToHelpYou @PMOIndia @drharshvardhan @AshwiniKChoubey @MIB_India @PIB_India @DG_PIB @MEAIndia @MoCA_GoI @shipmin_india @tourismgoi pic.twitter.com/dI8tNxihLW
The Bureau of Immigration also advised its citizens against all non-essential travel, adding that they could be subjected to a 14-day quarantine upon their return.
The decision comes after a Government of Ministers (GOM) meeting was held on Wednesday, in which officials decided on several visa restrictions for travelers.
Following the announcement, the UAE issued a statement advising its citizens against travel to India.
More than 126,100 people have been infected with the coronavirus globally and over 4,600 have died, according to a Reuters tally of government announcements.