Thousands flock to leave China’s coronavirus epicenter Wuhan as travel ban ends
Thousands of travelers flocked to catch trains leaving Wuhan early on Wednesday, AFP reporters said, as authorities lifted a ban on outbound travel from the hard-hit city where the global coronavirus pandemic first emerged.
The previously scheduled removal of the ban at midnight (1600 GMT Tuesday) ends more than two months of isolation that began when the government imposed an unprecedented lockdown in late January in an ultimately failed bid to contain the contagion.
Crowds of passengers filed into the city’s Wuchang station to catch the first trains set to pull out of the city of 11 million shortly after midnight.
Thousands of travelers flock to catch trains leaving #Wuhan as Chinese authorities end more than a two months ban on outbound travel from the hard-hit city where the global #coronavirus pandemic first emerged.#COVID_19https://t.co/SQRDvfYiho pic.twitter.com/LBZ4JdIFKx— Al Arabiya English (@AlArabiya_Eng) April 7, 2020
“Wuhan has lost a lot in this epidemic, and Wuhan people have paid a big price,” said a 21-year-old man surnamed Yao, who was heading back to his restaurant job in Shanghai.
“Now that the lockdown has been lifted, I think we’re all pretty happy.”
China’s ruling Communist Party imposed a quarantine lockdown on tens of millions of people - first in Wuhan and then the rest of Hubei province - beginning January 23, making the central Chinese city the first place in the world subjected to draconian restrictions now seen in many countries.
Nevertheless, the pathogen spread across the country and the world, but China has claimed recent success in bringing the outbreak to heel.
Its official national tally of coronavirus deaths and overall cases has plummeted in recent weeks, with the National Health Commission saying on Tuesday that no new deaths had been logged in the preceding 24 hours.
That was the first fatality-free day since China began publishing figures in January.
Residents of Hubei and its capital Wuhan had been confined to their homes until about two weeks ago, when restrictions began to be eased, triggering a resumption of inbound travel from other parts of China.
Authorities, however, had waited until Wednesday to allow normal traffic out of Wuhan.
Hubei has suffered the majority of China’s officially claimed tally of more than 81,000 overall infections and more than 3,300 deaths.
Chinese disease control officials said in January that the virus likely leapt from wildlife to humans at a Wuhan market that sold a wide range of wild animals for food.
China on Tuesday reported no new coronavirus deaths for the first time since it started publishing figures in January, the National Health Commission said.
Cases in mainland China have been dwindling since March, but the country faces a second wave of infections brought in from overseas, with health officials reporting nearly 1,000 imported cases in total.
US President Trump blasts WHO, calls organization ‘China centric’US President Donald Trump criticized the World Health Organization on Tuesday, ... World News
China sells nearly four billion masks abroad amid coronavirus pandemicChina has sold nearly four billion masks to foreign countries since March, ... Variety
Mainland China reports rise in new coronavirus casesMainland China reported 30 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, up from 19 a day ... World News