President Trump threatens to move Republican convention due to COVID-19 restrictions
US President Donald Trump on Monday threatened to pull the Republican National Convention out of North Carolina unless the state’s Democratic governor guarantees he will swiftly lift restrictions on large gatherings of people during the coronavirus pandemic.
Trump, who is set to be named the party’s candidate for the November election, fired off a series of early morning tweets on Memorial Day, when the US honors its war dead, professing his “love” for the state but lamenting the fact that he might not be allowed to fill the Charlotte arena where the gathering is scheduled to be held between August 24-27.
“Unfortunately, Democrat Governor, @RoyCooperNC is still in Shutdown mood & unable to guarantee that by August we will be allowed full attendance in the Arena,” the president wrote.
I love the Great State of North Carolina, so much so that I insisted on having the Republican National Convention in Charlotte at the end of August. Unfortunately, Democrat Governor, @RoyCooperNC is still in Shutdown mood & unable to guarantee that by August we will be allowed...— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 25, 2020
“In other words, we would be spending millions of dollars building the Arena to a very high standard without even knowing if the Democrat Governor would allow the Republican Party to fully occupy the space.”
The conventions are traditionally moments of great pomp and pageant when parties officially announce their candidate for the election, and the events play an important role in the political life of the country.
“Plans are being made by many thousands of enthusiastic Republicans, and others, to head to beautiful North Carolina in August,” Trump said.
“They must be immediately given an answer by the Governor as to whether or not the space will be allowed to be fully occupied. If not, we will be reluctantly forced to find, with all of the jobs and economic development it brings, another Republican National Convention site,” he warned.
...to find, with all of the jobs and economic development it brings, another Republican National Convention site. This is not something I want to do. Thank you, and I LOVE the people of North Carolina!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 25, 2020
In a statement, the North Carolina governor’s spokesperson said state health officials were working with the Republican National Committee and “will review its plans as they make decisions about holding the convention in Charlotte.”
“North Carolina is relying on data and science to protect our state’s public health and safety,” it added.
North Carolina entered the so-called Phase 2 of reopening from lockdown last week, allowing restaurants to open to 50 percent capacity but still banning large gatherings of people.
Coronavirus: Trump returns to golf course for first time since national emergencyPresident Donald Trump played golf on Saturday for the first time since he declared the coronavirus pandemic a national emergency more than two months ... Coronavirus
Trump administration discussed holding first nuclear test in decades, says reportPresident Donald Trump’s administration has discussed holding the first US nuclear test since 1992 as a potential warning to Russia and China, the ... World News
Coronavirus: Trump calls on governors to reopen churchesThe US President Donald Trump said on Friday that he had deemed churches and other houses of worship “essential" and called on governors across the ... Coronavirus