Italy on Thursday banned travelers from Brazil and 12 other countries it considers to pose a high risk of COVID-19 transmission.
The full list comprises Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bosnia, Brazil, Chile, the Dominican Republic, Kuwait, North Macedonia, Moldova, Oman, Panama and Peru.
The health ministry signed the decree banning visitors from those countries from entering Italy in agreement with the foreign, interior and transport ministries.
"Throughout the world, the pandemic has entered a more acute phase," said Health Minister Roberto Speranza.
"We cannot throw away the sacrifices made by Italians in recent months," he added.
Italy was the first country to be hit by the virus after it emerged in China late last year.
Almost 35,000 people have died of the virus in Italy, according to official figures, from more than 242,000 cases.
The spread of the coronavirus has been slowed with 12 new deaths declared on Thursday, from 15 the previous day.
According to an AFP count, Brazil has suffered the highest number of COVID-19 fatalities apart from the United States, with nearly 68,000 dead.
Coronavirus: Astrazeneca wins deal with Germany, France, Italy and the NetherlandsBritish drug maker AstraZeneca Plc said on Saturday it signed a contract with ... Coronavirus
Coronavirus is opportunity to reform Italy, says PM Giuseppe ConteItaly cannot afford to return to normality after the coronavirus emergency but ... Coronavirus
More than half of people in Italy’s coronavirus hotspot have COVID-19 antibodiesOver half the residents tested in northern Italy’s coronavirus hotspot of Bergamo ... Coronavirus