Turkey’s arrest of lawyers representing clients accused of Gulen links criticized
Turkish and international lawyers’ groups have voiced concern over the arrest of dozens of lawyers, saying they had been doing their job when representing clients accused of links to the network Turkey blames for anattempted coup in 2016.
The Ankara state prosecutor’s office ordered the detention of 60 people on Friday, including 48 lawyers and others in the legal sector, suspected of operating in support of the network of US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app
The suspects were part of a structure within the Gulenist network which sought to “steer investigations in favor of the group under the guise of attorney activities”, the prosecutor’s office said.
The Istanbul Bar Association described the arrests as intimidation. In a statement released on Monday, it said the allegations related to the execution of their duties as lawyers, representing clients accused of Gulen links.
Read more:
Turkey arrests 60 lawyers, 44 soldiers allegedly affiliated with Gulen movement
Turkey issues arrest warrants for 191 soldiers for alleged tie to Gulen
Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?
“A lawyer cannot be identified with their client,” the association said. “Intimidation which hopes to restrict the lawyers’ duty ... will impact the public as much as lawyers and gradually destroy confidence in justice.”
The International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) also expressed concern, saying the arrests breached Turkey’s obligations under international law.
“Lawyers should never be arrested or sanctioned for representing their clients, or identified with their clients causes,” said Roisin Pillay, Director of the ICJ Europe and Central Asia Program.
In a crackdown since the failed coup, in which 250 people were killed, tens of thousands of people have been arrested. Gulen, a former ally of President Tayyip Erdogan, has denied involvement in the putsch.
On Tuesday, prosecutors in the western province of Izmir ordered the arrest of 66 suspects, including 48 serving military personnel, in an investigation of the armed forces, state-owned Anadolu news agency reported.
In the post-coup crackdown, more than 20,000 people had been expelled from the Turkish military.
-
Coronavirus cases in Turkey surge, experts call for new COVID-19 restrictions
As the number of COVID-19 cases continue to surge in Turkey, health experts say that the country is in desperate need of tougher restrictions, ... Coronavirus -
Turkey to send second drill ship to Black Sea, says energy minister
Turkey will send a second drill ship to operate in the Black Sea, Energy Minister Fatih Donmez said on Sunday, weeks after Ankara announced its ... Energy -
Negotiating with Turkey will worsen the eastern Mediterranean crisis
In recent months, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s policies in the eastern Mediterranean region have posed numerous risks to the security and ... Middle East -
Erdogan warns France’s Macron not to ‘mess with Turkey’ over eastern Mediterranean
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday warned his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron “not to mess” with Turkey, as tensions between the ... World News