Nagorno-Karabakh denied reports of a planned ceasefire starting on Thursday, the region’s defense ministry said.
Fighting between forces from Azerbaijan and Armenia in and around the breakaway region has surged to its worst level since the 1990s, when some 30,000 people were killed.
Azerbaijan and ethnic Armenian forces fought new clashes in and around the Nagorno-Karabakh region on Thursday, before the United States, France and Russia were due to meet in Geneva to try to avert a wider war in the South Caucasus.
Azerbaijan said the city of Ganja had been shelled early on Thursday by Armenian forces and that one civilian had been killed in the Goranboy region. It said other villages were fired on by ethnic Armenian forces.