Armenia and Azerbaijan accused each other on Sunday of violating a new humanitarian ceasefire in fighting over the mountain enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh, hours after it was agreed.
The truce agreed on Saturday came into force at midnight (2000 GMT) after a week-old Russian-brokered ceasefire failed to halt the worst fighting in the South Caucasus since the 1990s.
The Armenian defense ministry said the Azeri army had fired twice during the night and used artillery.
The Azeri defense ministry said: “The enemy fired at the vicinity of the Jabrail city, as well as the villages of this region ... using mortars and artillery”. It added that the Azeri army “took adequate retaliatory measures”.
Officials in Nagorno-Karabakh said Azeri forces had launched an attack on the enclave’s military positions and there were casualties and wounded on both sides.
Nagorno-Karabakh is a mountain territory that is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan but populated and governed by ethnic Armenians.
The ceasefire earlier this month was aimed at letting the sides swap detainees and bodies of those killed in the clashes, but it had little impact on the fighting around the enclave.
The new truce was announced on Saturday after Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov talked to his Armenian and Azeri counterparts by phone and called on sides to observe the truce that he mediated a week ago.
#Armenia & #Azerbaijan have agreed to humanitarian truce as of Oct 18th,00h00 local time. Decision was taken following statement of Presidents of #France, #Russia & #US-@OSCE MGCC countries, of 1 Oct 2020, Statement by OSCE MGCCs of 5 Oct, & in line w/#Moscow Statement of 10 Oct.— MFA of Armenia🇦🇲 (@MFAofArmenia) October 17, 2020
Russia, France and the United States belong to the Minsk Group, which has attempted to help resolve the conflict under the umbrella of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
Baku said on Saturday that 60 Azeri civilians had been killed and 270 wounded since the fighting flared on Sept. 27. It has not disclosed its military casualties.
Nagorno-Karabakh says 633 of its military personnel have been killed, and 36 civilians.
Armenia accuses Azerbaijan of violating new ceasefire over disputed Nagorno-KarabakhArmenia accused Azerbaijan of violating the newly announced ceasefire disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region by firing artillery shells and rockets."The ... World News
Armenia and Azerbaijan announce new attempt at ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh conflictArmenia and Azerbaijan have announced a new attempt to establish a cease-fire in their conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh starting from midnight.It comes ... World News
Azerbaijan: Armenia’s ballistic missile strike killed 13 civilians, wounded over 50Azerbaijan on Saturday accused Armenia of striking its second-largest city with a ballistic missile that killed at least 13 civilians and wounded 50 ... World News