The Nigerian military has offered to deploy in Lagos state if needed to protect key business and government sites amid anti-police protests, the governor said on Thursday.
Unrest has broken out across the state, which is under 24-hour curfew, sparked by protests and the shooting of civilians by security forces on Tuesday evening.
Governor Babjide Sanwo-Olu, in an interview on local station Arise TV, said the chief of defense staff and the chief of army staff had called around midday on Wednesday “to say that if indeed I require for the military to come out, they will deploy them.”
African Union ‘strongly condemns’ violence in Nigeria’s Lagos
Nigeria’s biggest city under 24-hour lockdown after protesters fired on by soldiers
Nigeria dissolves controversial police anti-robbery unit after protests
He said the primary concern was the security of key business and government installations, such as Lagos’ ports.
“It’s really just a conversation around security support that we’ve got,” he said.
Sanwo-Olu did not say whether he would accept the offer, but called on leaders to keep young people including protesters off the streets.
Fires burned across the commercial capital on Wednesday as roving groups of young men, some protesters still on the streets, and armed police clashed in some neighborhoods.
The army has denied soldiers were at the site of the shooting at Lekki toll gate in Lagos, where people had gathered in defiance of the curfew. Four witnesses told Reuters soldiers had fired bullets there and at least two people had been shot.
Rights group Amnesty International said the Nigerian army and police killed at least 12 peaceful protesters at two locations in Lagos -- Lekki and Alausa -- on Tuesday.
Sanwo-Olu said he did not send soldiers to the toll gate, and President Muhammadu Buhari, while appealing for calm in a statement on Wednesday, has not directly addressed the incident.
Buhari said that CCTV cameras on Lekki Bridge, which social media posts suggested had been removed prior to the incident, were there and working at the time of the shooting and would form part of the state’s investigation into the incident.
He added that he would “absolutely” make the footage public.
African Union ‘strongly condemns’ violence in Nigeria’s LagosThe African Union Commission chairman on Thursday strongly condemned deadly violence in Nigeria’s biggest city Lagos and called on all parties to ... World News
Nigeria’s biggest city under 24-hour lockdown after protesters fired on by soldiersLagos was under lockdown on Wednesday as a heavy police presence enforced a round-the-clock curfew, hours after soldiers opened fire on protesters in ... World News
Nigeria dissolves controversial police anti-robbery unit after protestsThe head of Nigeria’s police dissolved its Special Anti-Robbery Squad with immediate effect on Sunday, a police statement said, prompted by days of ... World News
Militants kill 10 Nigerian soldiers in ambush near Lake Chad townExtremists have killed 10 Nigerian soldiers in an ambush near the town of Marte in the Lake Chad region, two security sources said on ... World News
After abuse allegations, Nigeria bans anti-robbery unit from stop-and-searchNigeria’s top police chief on Sunday banned a controversial anti-robbery unit and other special agents from mounting roadblocks and carrying out ... World News