The gunman shot dead in the Vienna attacks on Monday served a prison term for attempting to travel to Syria and join the ISIS group, the Austrian government said on
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app
The interior ministry in Vienna confirmed a report by APA news agency saying the man had been sentenced to 22 months in prison in April 2019.
In December 2019, he was released early due to his young age, according to the report, which cited Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer.
The minister told a press conference that the attacker managed to “fool” de-radicalization efforts after his conviction for terrorist offences.
“The perpetrator managed to fool the de-radicalization program of the justice system, to fool the people in it, and to get an early release through this,” he said.
The 20-year-old was shot dead by police near St. Ruprecht's Church in Vienna, the report said.