More than 8,000 Ethiopians fleeing conflict in the northern Tigray region have crossed west into neighboring Sudan within 48 hours, state news agency SUNA said on Wednesday.
The report said 6,000 had taken refuge in the state of Gedaref and about 1,100 in Kassala, both in eastern Sudan.
Another 1,500 refugees had already arrived on Tuesday, local officials were quoted as saying.
- Hundreds killed as conflict in Ethiopia’s Tigray region escalates, sources say
- Concern of outright war in Ethiopia grows as PM Abiy steps up offensive in Tigray
- Ethiopia’s PM fires senior officials amid state of emergency
- Ethiopia’s Tigray people risk displacement amid escalating conflict, UN says
- Ethiopia PM says airstrikes in Tigray region will continue