The Philippines has suspended for the second time its decision to scrap a two-decade-old Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) with the United States, its foreign ministry said on Wednesday.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte delaying the cancellation by another six months would “enable us to find a more enhanced, mutually beneficial, mutually agreeable, and more effective and lasting arrangement on how to move forward in our mutual defense,” the foreign ministry said in a statement.
The Philippines is a treaty ally of the United States with several military agreements dependent on the VFA. Duterte last year notified Washington he was canceling the deal, which came amid outrage over a senator and ally being denied a US visa.
As world’s strongest 2020 typhoon approaches, Philippines orders evacuationPhilippine officials on Saturday ordered the evacuation of thousands of residents in the southern part of the main Luzon island as a category 5 storm ... World News
Freak accident in Philippines as fighting cock kills police officer during raidA Philippine police officer was killed during a raid on an illegal cockfight after a rooster’s blade sliced his femoral artery, an official said on ... Variety
Philippines typhoon displaces at least 25,000 villagers on South China Sea coastA fast-moving typhoon forced thousands of villagers to flee to safety in provinces south of the Philippine capital Monday, flooding rural villages and ... World News