The leader of rebellious forces in Tigray region said on Saturday that Ethiopian government forces had began an offensive to capture the regional capital, Mekelle.
Debretsion Gebremichael, leader of the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) told Reuters in a text message Mekelle was under “heavy bombardment.”
Billene Seyoum, a spokeswoman for the Prime Minister’s office, said that Ethiopian forces would not “bombard” civilian areas, adding “the safety of Ethiopians in Mekelle and Tigray region continues as priority for the federal government.”
Debretsion also accused the military of the neighbouring nation of Eritrea of raiding refugee camps in Tigray to capture refugees who had fled Eritrea.
Reuters was not immediately able to get comment from the Eritrean government.
Claims from all sides are difficult to verify since phone and internet links to the region have been down and access tightly controlled since fighting began three weeks ago between forces of the government and the TPLF.
Ethiopian forces capture town, move toward Tigrayan capitalThe Ethiopian military has seized control of the town of Wikro, 50 kilometer (30 miles) north of the Tigrayan capital, a senior official said on ... Africa
Ethiopian troops ordered to move on Tigray capital: Ethiopia Prime MinisterEthiopia’s prime minister said Thursday the army has been ordered to move on the embattled Tigray regional capital after his 72-hour ultimatum ended ... World News
Ethiopia’s Tigray conflict destabilizing east Africa, warns EUFighting between Ethiopia’s military and regional forces from the northern Tigray region is seriously destabilizing the East African and Horn region ... World News
Ethiopia has ‘destroyed’ over 10,000 Tigrayan troops: Ethiopian news agencyA news agency in Ethiopia’s Amhara region said on Wednesday that more than 10,000 Tigrayan troops had been “destroyed” during a three-week conflict ... World News