.
.
.
.

Construction starts on Nagorno-Karabakh ceasefire monitoring center, Turkey says

Published: Updated:

Construction work has started on a joint Turkish-Russian center to monitor a ceasefire in the mountain enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh, Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Wednesday.

He said the center, being built following the worst fighting in decades between Azerbaijan and ethnic Armenian forces, would be operating “very shortly.”

Azerbaijan and Armenia last month signed a Russia-brokered ceasefire for the enclave, which is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan but mainly populated by ethnic Armenians.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Russian peacekeepers were deployed to the region under the deal, which froze Azeri gains in six weeks of fighting.

Turkey has no peacekeepers in the region but said it had finalized an agreement with Russia on setting up the joint center to monitor the ceasefire.

“An agreement was reached. There is no written obstacle to the formation of our joint observation center there. Now, its construction is under way. Our colleagues will begin working there very shortly,” Akar said.

Turkey backs Azerbaijan over Nagorno-Karabakh, and has criticized the co-chairs of the OSCE’s so-called Minsk Group for not resolving the long-running conflict in decades of mediation. The Minsk Group is led by the United States, France and Russia.

France, whose population includes from 400,000 to 600,000 people of Armenian origin, has said it wants international supervision of the ceasefire.

Read more:

Russia denies Erdogan’s claim of Turkey jointly monitoring Nagorno-Karabakh deal

Watch: Protesters storm Armenia's government building amid anger over Azerbaijan deal

Russia’s Putin praises Armenian prime minister for signing Nagorno-Karabakh deal