.
.
.
.

Despite ceasefire, Nagorno-Karabakh accuses Azerbaijan forces of capturing troops

Published: Updated:

Ethnic Armenian authorities in the region of Nagorno-Karabakh accused Azeri forces on Wednesday of capturing several dozen of their troops, putting further strain on a ceasefire deal that brought an end to bloody fighting in the region last month.

Read more: UK lawmakers urge government to designate Iran’s IRGC, replace nuclear deal

The Russian-brokered deal halted a six-week conflict between Azeri and ethnic Armenian forces over the region and its surrounding areas, locking in territorial gains for Azerbaijan.

Moscow has deployed peacekeepers to police the ceasefire, but skirmishes broke out on Sunday that Azerbaijan and Armenia each blamed on the other side. Four Azeri troops were reported killed in the fighting and six ethnic Armenians wounded.

Armenians pack their belongings while leaving their house in the town of Kalbajar on November 12, 2020, during the military conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh. (Alexander Nemenov/AFP)
Armenians pack their belongings while leaving their house in the town of Kalbajar on November 12, 2020, during the military conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh. (Alexander Nemenov/AFP)

In a new setback on Wednesday, Nagorno-Karabakh’s defense ministry said it had lost contact with several military positions late on Tuesday in areas that were supposed to remain under its control according to the Nov. 10 ceasefire deal.

Azerbaijan’s defense ministry could not immediately be reached for comment.

Nagorno-Karabakh’s ministry said it had failed to locate the troops despite carrying out search operations through the night.

Hours later, regional head Arayik Harutyunyan said the troops had been captured and accused Azerbaijan of a “provocation.”

“Several dozen servicemen were taken hostage by Azeri forces in the direction of Ktsaberd village, and the defense ministry is currently trying to figure out all the circumstances,” Harutyunyan said in a pre-written speech posted on his Facebook page.

The comments came shortly after Armenia and Azerbaijan confirmed they had begun exchanging groups of prisoners of war, part of an “all for all” swap mediated by Russia.

Read more:

‘We can be the good guys too’: Arab heroes fight ISIS in Hollywood film ‘Mosul’

Caretaker PM Diab declines questioning in Beirut blast probe, official source says

WSJ, Bloomberg staff under fire for speaking at Iran forum after reporter’s killing