.
.
.
.

Toll from attack in western Ethiopia region rises to 222, Red Cross says

Published: Updated:

The death toll from a Wednesday attack in the western Benishangul-Gumuz region of Ethiopia has risen to 222 people, a volunteer from the country’s Red Cross told Reuters on Friday.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app

“Yesterday we buried 207 people who are the victims and 15 more from the attackers,” said the volunteer, Melese Mesfin.

The attack occurred in the village of Bekoji in Bulen county in the Metekel zone, and the state-appointed Ethiopian Human Rights Commission initially estimated more than 100 people had been killed.

Wednesday’s attack by unidentified gunmen was the latest deadly assault in an area bedeviled by ethnic violence.

Read more:

Ethiopia sets national election for mid-2021, even as PM Abiy seeks to quell violence

Ethiopian troops kill 42 armed men behind deadly village attack, reports state TV

Ethiopia arrests five officials in Benishangul-Gumuz, PM deploys forces to region

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed called the attack a “massacre” and deployed federal troops there the next day. The military killed 42 armed men accused of attacking the village.

Ethiopia has been grappling with outbreaks of deadly violence since Abiy was appointed in 2018 and accelerated political reforms that loosened the state’s iron grip on regional rivalries.

Elections due next June have further inflamed rivalries over land, power and resources.