.
.
.
.

Five dead and seven hospitalized after suspected nursing home gas leak in Italy

Published: Updated:

Five elderly residents of a nursing home near Rome have died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, with another five residents and two workers hospitalized in serious conditions, Italian media reported Saturday.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Firefighters confirmed the deadly incident in the town of Lanuvio, with the hypothesis of a gas leak.

A worker in the home found the residents and workers unconscious early Saturday, the news agency ANSA reported.

All residents and employees of the home had been tested this week for COVID-19 after one worker tested positive, with another nine residents and three staff testing positive. The residents had been scheduled to be transferred to a specialized COVID facility on Saturday.

Read more:

Italy issues new decree extending coronavirus curbs amid third wave risks

Coronavirus: Germany to start first COVID-19 vaccination in elderly homes in December

Russia retirement home fire kills 11 elderly people