Four women aid workers were gunned down Monday in a restive part of northwestern Pakistan, police said, as a fresh wave of extremist violence rattles the Afghan borderlands.
The aid workers were ambushed by two gunmen as they were driving through a village in North Waziristan district, according to local police chief Shafiullah Gandapur, who said just one passenger survived the assault.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
“No one has claimed responsibility for the attack so far but it was surely an act of terrorism,” he told AFP.
Gandapur said the aid workers were affiliated with a program run by a local institute to develop household skills for women.
The incident and death toll was confirmed by Rasul Khan, another local police official.
The so-called tribal areas along the Afghan border remain notorious for the availability of cheap guns, drugs and smuggled goods.
The region was once home to a wide array of extremist groups and was a focal point in the global war on terror.
Attacks have decreased in recent years following a series of military offensives against homegrown and foreign militants.
In 2014, the army launched a massive operation to wipe out militant bases in North Waziristan aimed at ending a near decade-long insurgency that cost thousands of lives.
But militant groups are still able to carry out sporadic, isolated assaults.
A recent surge in attacks targeting security forces along the Afghan border has sparked fears that extremist groups may be regrouping.
UAE-funded program helps vaccinate 86 million children in Pakistan against polio
Policeman escorting team of polio workers in Pakistan killed by gunmen
US group appeals for Pakistani woman jailed on blasphemy charges
- Two killed in attack on Pakistan polio vaccination security team
- Pakistan arrests parents for refusing children’s polio vaccinations
- Pakistani protestors seeking disappeared Baluch relatives end sit-in
- US, Pakistan military officials meet over troop withdrawal from Afghanistan
- Militant raid on security post on Baluchistan province highway kills Pakistan soldier
- Four Pakistani soldiers, four insurgents killed in clashes near Afghanistan border
- Pakistani forces raid hideout, kill Taliban fighters suspected of slaying of troops
- Policeman escorting team of polio workers in Pakistan killed by gunmen
- US group appeals for Pakistani woman jailed on blasphemy charges
- UAE-funded program helps vaccinate 86 million children in Pakistan against polio