A 9-year-old Minnesota boy was bitten by a shark as he body surfed in Miami Beach over the weekend, his parents said.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
Kristine Weiskopf told WPLG she and her son Jay were in the water for only a few minutes when the shark bit the boy.
“I was holding his hand the whole time and he was kind of body surfing a little bit and he had fallen on his stomach,” she said.
When she pulled him up, she said she saw a chunk of skin missing from his shoulder.
“He just said, ‘Ow,’ and I looked down and there was about a 4-foot gray shark just kinda swimming away, so I just scooped him up and ran him up the beach,” she said.
A Miami Beach Fire Rescue crew took the child to the hospital where surgeons closed the wound, his mother said.
“He’s such a great kid and we’re still in shock, but thankful. We thank God that he didn’t take his life. That he’s gonna be OK,” the child’s father, Ren Weiskopf told the TV station.
Gorilla loses appetite, lions develop cough after contracting COVID-19 at Prague Zoo
Plague of mice hits parts of rural Australia
Dubai cat cafe hopes rescues will find purr-fect new homes
Gorilla loses appetite, lions develop cough after contracting COVID-19 at Prague ZooA gorilla and two lions have tested positive for COVID-19 at the Prague Zoo, which is closed amid lockdown restrictions in the country.“Lions Jamvan ... Coronavirus
Plague of mice hits parts of rural AustraliaSome rural communities in the Australian state of New South Wales are suffering their worst plague of mice in decades after a bumper grain harvest, ... World News
Dubai cat cafe hopes rescues will find purr-fect new homesA haven for humans craving furry feline company, a cat cafe in Dubai also doubles as an adoption center for some of the United Arab Emirates’ many ... Gulf