A man charged with carrying out a mass shooting at a Minnesota health clinic last month allegedly called 911 during the attack and told the dispatcher he was the shooter and to send “a lotta ambulances,” records show.
Medical assistant Lindsay Overbay was killed and four other staff members were wounded in the Feb. 9 shooting at the Allina Crossroads Clinic in Buffalo, a small city about 40 miles (65 kilometers) northwest of Minneapolis.
Gregory Ulrich, 67, is charged with murder, attempted murder and other counts in the attack. Ulrich’s call to dispatchers was made three minutes after the first report of shots being fired, according to a 911 transcript obtained by KARE-TV.
When Ulrich says he’s calling from the clinic, a 911 dispatcher immediately asks about the shooter. Ulrich told the dispatcher that he was the shooter and to send “a lotta ambulances.”
Ulrich said he also placed several bombs at the clinic and planned to surrender after they exploded.
During the call, Ulrich gives his name. And, as he waits face-down on the floor for police to arrest him, he tells the dispatcher five people are “extremely” injured and that a medical helicopter should be sent.
Ulrich was arrested without resistance.
Police have said Ulrich was no stranger to them and was known to have been angry over his medical treatment. Although authorities have said they had no recent interactions that would have raised alarms, court documents show that Ulrich threatened to carry out a mass shooting at the clinic in 2018. That threat led to a restraining order that barred Ulrich from the clinic and a nearby hospital as well as an order he have no contact with a doctor.
Earlier this week, a judge ordered a mental health evaluation to determine whether Ulrich is mentally competent to stand trial.
US health clinic shooting leaves one dead, four injured, man arrestedA 67-year-old man unhappy with the health care he’d received opened fire at a clinic Tuesday, killing one person and wounding four others, and bomb ... World News
Shark bites 9-year-old bodysurfer in Miami Beach, USA 9-year-old Minnesota boy was bitten by a shark as he body surfed in Miami Beach over the weekend, his parents said.For the latest headlines, follow ... World News
Jury set for ex-cop’s trial in Floyd death after over 100 dismissed; starts March 29A jury has been seated for the trial of a former Minneapolis police officer in George Floyd’s death, with opening statements set for March 29 in a ... World News