At least 50 people were killed overnight in two attacks on villages in eastern Congo, in potentially the worst night of violence the area has seen in at least four years, the Kivu Security Tracker (KST) research group said on Monday.
The army and a local civil rights group blamed the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), an Islamist armed group, for raiding the village of Tchabi and a camp for displaced people near Boga, another village. Both are close to the border of Uganda.
Albert Basegu, the head of a civil rights group in Boga, told Reuters by telephone that he had been alerted to the attack by the sound of cries at a neighbor’s house.
“When I got there I found that the attackers had already killed an Anglican pastor and his daughter was also seriously wounded,” Basegu said.
The KST, which has mapped unrest in restive eastern Congo since June 2017, said on Twitter the wife of a local chief was among the dead. It did not attribute blame for the killings.
“It’s the deadliest day ever recorded by the KST,” said Pierre Boisselet, the research group’s coordinator.
The ADF is believed to have killed more than 850 people in 2020, according to the United Nations, in a spate of reprisal attacks on civilians after the army began operations against it the year before.
In March the United States labelled the ADF a foreign terrorist organization. The group has in the past proclaimed allegiance to ISIS, although the United Nations says evidence linking it to other Islamist militant networks is scant.
President Felix Tshisekedi declared a state of siege in Congo’s North Kivu and Ituri provinces on May 1 in an attempt to curb increasing attacks by militant groups.
Uganda announced earlier this month that it had agreed to share intelligence and coordinate operations against the rebels, but that it would not be deploying troops in Congo.
DR Congo declares state of siege over eastern bloodshedMilitants killed at least 19 people, including 10 soldiers, in raids on two villages in the east of Democratic Republic of Congo on Saturday, hours ... World News
At least two killed during anti-UN protests in eastern Congo, officials sayAt least two people were killed during violent protests on Friday against the United Nations peacekeeping mission in eastern Democratic Republic of ... World News
UN probe into Italian envoy’s killing in Congo to look for leaked informationA UN investigation into the attack on a humanitarian convoy in Congo that killed the Italian ambassador, his bodyguard and driver will look into ... World News
13 killed in eastern DR Congo attacks blamed on ADF militiaThirteen people have died in attacks in the eastern DR Congo region of Beni, local officials and experts said on Wednesday, blaming a notorious ... World News
Suspected extremists kill 16 in eastern Congo attackSuspected extremists killed three soldiers and 13 civilians and burnt down a church in a raid on a village in Democratic Republic of Congo’s ... World News
Rebels kill at least 22 people in CongoAt least 22 people were killed in an overnight raid on a village in a part of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo plagued by Islamist rebel attacks, ... World News